Search This Blog

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Haikus and horror.

Today is the day of haikus. I wrote this one at my grandmother's cabin in northern Wisconsin, Land o' Loons. Seriously. Every damn morning with the loons, man. And Sugie (that's what we call my grandmother, long story...) had also decorated the cabin with loons in every damn place. They're a classy-looking bird. Anywho, this is the poem, a series of haikus, and it is called "Leaves".

--

This haiku is also about leaves. I think it is impossible for me to write a haiku that is not about leaves. I think I tried with this one, and it ended up being about leaves again.

--


--

I'm going to try in my next post to post some prose, but I'm apprehensive. First of all, cuts are not possible as far as I'm aware. Also, I edit poetry to no end but, comparatively, barely edit my prose. So it all might suck. Who knows. Not me.

I'm also in the middle of writing a horror story for this writing contest for Writers' Journal, tentatively titled "The Tenant". So far, it's not particularly... scary. It's certainly creepy, but in order to win, I feel like I need to proved that lingering, nightmare-inducing feeling. I want it to be Pet Sematary-scary. I'm re-reading it so I can find out what makes it so freaky. Wish me luck. I may post the story when I'm doneif I'm happy with it, but I have a feeling that I'm just not cut out for the horror genre. If anyone has any tips for me for some reason, let me know, because I could use some help. I could even use a beta, if anyone's consistently available for editing help.

This is the only writing I've done so far today. I'd best at least try to eke something out before bedtime, so I don't get in the habit of doing fuck all. That's no way to maintain a blog, eh, people? No. No it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment